• Newsletters
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
°
Monday, September 25, 2017
View complete forecast
News-Sentinel.com Your Town. Your Voice.

Gas leak blamed for southern Indiana house explosion

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.The Associated Press
Tuesday, September 12, 2017 08:54 am

NEW ALBANY, Ind. Firefighters say a gas leak caused a southern Indiana house explosion that destroyed the home and shook nearby businesses.

The State Fire Marshal's Office has determined that Monday's explosion was caused by the failure of a supply line running from a propane tank to the New Albany home's furnace.

No injuries were reported.

New Chapel Fire and EMS shift captain Matt Owen tells the News and Tribune the propane leak likely went unnoticed because it's believed no one had been inside three-bedroom home for about two weeks.

Floyd County Sheriff's Office Capt. Doug Standiford says his grandmother owns the house and was planning to rent it to relatives.

Nearby business owner Lea Koons says the blast shook her chiropractic practice, causing window blinds to sway and knocking down ceiling debris.

___

Information from: News and Tribune, Jeffersonville, Ind., http://www.newsandtribune.com

Comments

News-Sentinel.com reserves the right to remove any content appearing on its website. Our policy will be to remove postings that constitute profanity, obscenity, libel, spam, invasion of privacy, impersonation of another, or attacks on racial, ethnic or other groups. For more information, see our user rules page.
comments powered by Disqus