• Newsletters
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Tuesday, August 22, 2017
View complete forecast
News-Sentinel.com Your Town. Your Voice.

Woman describes events leading up to August shooting

Willie L. Amos
Willie L. Amos
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.The Associated Press
Tuesday, August 08, 2017 02:40 pm

The woman who was shot three times last August described the events that led up to the shooting after Willie L. Amos allegedly followed her in his vehicle, hitting her vehicle repeatedly, and then shooting her twice in the leg and once in the back as she tried to escape.

The woman testified Tuesday in Allen Superior Court against Amos, 40, who is on trial this week on charges of attempted murder and dealing in a Schedule 1, 2 or 3 controlled substance.

The woman said she had been in a relationship with Amos but ended it in April 2016 only to receive multiple threats and phone calls, allegedly from Amos, between April and Aug. 24, the day she told a jury Amos tried to kill her by ramming her car and shooting her.

On Aug. 24, she said she went to her mother's house and when she left the residence, she saw Amos waiting for her inside his white Chevrolet Blazer. "When I drove past, I saw his face," she said.

She said she drove her red Dodge on Lenox through the split to Buell Drive and Pettit Avenue, turning right onto Pettit Avenue. Once she turned onto Harrison Street, she said Amos hit her. She said she drove fast because she was scared, but Amos struck her from again on Lexington Avenue and then from the side as they both traveled southbound on Fairfield Avenue.

"I drove fast," she said. "I was scared."

Her 911 call echoed the terror she felt as she yelled "Oh, my, God! He's going to kill me! He's going to shoot me!" as the 911 dispatcher tried to pinpoint her location. The only location she managed to tell the dispatcher was Lexington Avenue before her cries turned to dead silence.

She told the jury she crashed into a tree at Fairfield Avenue and Pasadena Drive while Amos crashed into a fence on the west side of Fairfield Avenue. She said she had to get out of her car because her air bags had deployed. She said she ran behind the car, despite Amos approaching her with a silver handgun. Three out of four shots fired struck the woman — two shots inches apart behind the right calf and another in the left side of her back.

She said Amos also kicked and stomped her head. The three wounds required seven surgeries and she showed the jury her scars and skin grafts. The woman testified she can't stand too long, suffers from some numbness and constant pain.

Another witness who was driving in the area testified she thought this was a case of road rage, but realized it was more serious as she saw a man carry a silver handgun as he approached the woman who had just crashed her car. "I thought he was a gang member," she said. "I yelled, 'Don't do it. Don't do it.'" She told the jury the man shot the woman from only 5 feet away.


News-Sentinel.com reserves the right to remove any content appearing on its website. Our policy will be to remove postings that constitute profanity, obscenity, libel, spam, invasion of privacy, impersonation of another, or attacks on racial, ethnic or other groups. For more information, see our user rules page.
comments powered by Disqus