A homeless man was sentenced for his attack of a Fort Wayne Rescue Mission staff member last November.
Peter M. Barbaruolo, 60, was sentenced to 1 1/2 years Tuesday in Allen Superior Court for strangulation of a Fort Wayne Rescue Mission staff member on Nov. 29 after Barbaruolo was asked to leave the mission at 301 W. Superior St.
Barbaruolo, who pleaded guilty to the strangulation charge on March 6, already had served the executed portion of the sentence, which was six months. He will serve the remainder of his sentence on probation. A battery charge was dismissed at sentencing.
Earlier that day, Barbaruolo reportedly had been refused housing for the night and was asked to leave, a Rescue Mission staff member told police at the time of the incident. Barbaruolo returned later and was let inside by a staff member who didn't know he had been refused housing for that night.
Once inside, Barbaruolo reportedly became very loud and angry. The original staff member who had asked him to leave tried to calm him down and to get him to leave, but Barbaruolo allegedly began pointing at him and then grabbed him around the throat with both hands while yelling at him.
Because Barbaruolo was squeezing the victim's throat violently, the victim reportedly also had trouble breathing until he broke free, a probable-cause affidavit said. When police arrived, they allegedly found redness on both sides of the victim's throat.