Several films have attempted to "capture" the giant ape that took a woman to the top of the Empire State Building. A more recent version of "King Kong" was the 2005 film directed by Peter Jackson received three Academy Awards for Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing and Best Visual Effects. The film, which stars Naomi Watts, Jack Black and Adrien Brody, airs tonight at 8 on the BBC network.
Here is a quiz about movies featuring this particular primate.
1. Who played the astronaut who returns to earth only to find out apes have taken over the world in "Planet of the Apes" (1968)?
2. Who provided the voice of King Louie of the Apes in "The Jungle Book" (1967)?
3. Who wrote the novel that was the basis for "Congo" (1995)?
4. How tall was the gorilla in "Mighty Joe Young" (1998)?
5. Sigourney Weaver played which famous scientist who studied the vanishing mountain gorilla in "Gorillas in the Mist" (1988)?
6. In "King Kong" (1933), name the actress who played the object of Kong's affection?
7. Which actor played Tarzan in "Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes" (1984)?
8. Who portrayed Caesar in "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" (2014)?
Answers: 1. Charlton Heston. 2. Louis Prima. 3. Michael Crichton. 4. 15 feet tall. 5. Diane Fossey. 6. Fay Wray. 7. Christopher Lambert. 8. Andy Serkis.