1. Brookview-Irvington Park National Register historic district, along west State Boulevard west of Clinton Street. The city has proposed widening and straightening the curving path of State Boulevard through the neighborhood, a plan that could include removal of a few homes.
2. Historic roadside signs and filling stations. Brightly lighted road signs date from the 1930s through the 1970s. Historic filling stations face threats from changing use and remodeling.
3. Former Fort Wayne Bible College buildings near Rudisill Boulevard and Lexington Avenue. Bethany Hall, built in 1930; Shultz Hall, built in 1904; and Hausser Hall, built in 1965, are threatened by vacancy and uncertain futures.
4. S.F. Bowser Pump Administration Building, 1320 E. Creighton Ave. The building, which now is vacant, later served for years as the offices of Fort Wayne Police until the department moved into Rousseau Centre, formerly the City-County Building.
5. Statues and the tree canopy in Fort Wayne parks. Many statues need repair, and the emerald ash borer has destroyed large portions of the tree canopy in parks and along streets.
6. Foster Park Pavilion No. 3, in the west side of the park, is threatened by lack of use and vandalism.
7. Joseph and Elnora Bash Hughes House, 1122 W. Wayne St. Built about 1877, the Queen Ann Home sustained fire damage and 2012 and remains vacant.
8. The former Franklin School, located on St. Marys Avenue, between Archer and Greenlawn avenues; and Elmhurst High School, 3829 Sand Point Road, both are threatened by vacancy and uncertain future use.
9. Charles F. Bleke Farmhouse, 13212 N. Lima Road. Built about 1875, the home's future is uncertain, and it needs repairs.
10. Streetcar commercial corridors, especially the Leland Block building on South Calhoun Street and the former Coca-Cola bottling plant on East Pontiac Street. Both areas relied on streetcars to bring people and workers to their locations.
11. Canal House, on Superior Street between Calhoun and Clinton streets. The vacant building is surrounded by a vacant bus depot and a parking lot, raising the risk it could be demolished for parking.
12. General Electric, Broadway Campus. GE announced recently it will close down all operations in Fort Wayne, vacating a large group of historic factory buildings.ARCH sought nominations in February, reviewed the nominations and selected these winners and runners-up:
•Single-Family Rehabilitation: 1020 W. Washington Blvd., Ralph and Annamarie Wiekart
Commendations: 816 Jackson St., Scott and Kimberly Moor; and 1121 W. Jefferson Blvd., The Burnell Group
•Mixed-Use Rehabilitation: 817 S. Calhoun St., 817 S. Calhoun LLC/Scott and Melissa Glaze
•Leonard G. Murphy Award for Commercial Rehabilitation: 1122 Broadway, Matthew McCoy
•Adaptive Re-use: 2042 Broadway (Metro Realty Building/Hildebrand Hardware Building), Josefa Schaper and Brian Schaper
•Emerging Preservationist Award: Matthew Reibs, an ARCH volunteer and high school senior, has organized classmates for clean-up days at ARCH's Broadway storefront buildings, has attended various workshops and is the creator of the “Save 226 W. Wayne” Facebook page, which has over 3,500 “Likes.”
•Volunteer of the Year Award: Pat Thomson, who maintains the Rankin House flower beds, has been a home tour volunteer for years, and helped organize the Southwood Park Home Tour.
•Outreach Award: Historic Beltline Tour, which uses a variety of funding sources to create a walking tour in the streetcar neighborhoods of Williams-Woodland and Hoagland-Masterson on the city's near-south side. Markers placed in sidewalks offer information on historic homes without detracting from the look of the neighborhoods.
National Park Service awardThe National Park Service has presented its first National Cultural Resources Stewardship and Partnership Award to Indiana historic preservation groups including local group ARCH, statewide group Indiana Landmarks, and the Indiana Department of Natural Resources' Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology, an ARCH news release said.
The award recognizes the groups for their work in helping Indiana become the first state in the nation to complete a survey and documentation of historic buildings and structures in all of its counties, the news release said. The National Historic Preservation Act of 1966 required states to complete the historic resources survey.
ARCH, the City of Fort Wayne, and the DNR Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology now are re-surveying all of Allen County using updated electronic methodology, geographic information system (GIS) technology and digital photography.