2. When soldiers refuse to continue with an impossible attack, superior officers make an example of them.
3. The most celebrated pilot of the German air force in World War I is caught between his disgust for the war and his responsibility for his fighter wing.
4. A riverboat captain is persuaded by a missionary to use his boat to attack an enemy warship.
5. A controversial British military figure has conflicted loyalties during his World War I service in Arabia.
6. Lew Ayres and Louis Wolheim starred in this film about a soldier who finds disillusionment in the horror of World War I.
7. A young man enlists in the war after his horse is sold to the cavalry.
8. James Cagney plays a loud-mouthed braggart who alienates his comrades and officers in this action film.
Answers: 1. “Sergeant York” (1941). 2. “Paths of Glory” (1957). 3. “The Red Baron” (2008). 4. “The African Queen” (1951). 5. “Lawrence of Arabia” (1962). 6. “All Quiet on the Western Front” (1930). 7. “War Horse” (2011). 8. “The Fighting 69th” (1940).