• Newsletters
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
°
Sunday, September 24, 2017
View complete forecast
News-Sentinel.com Your Town. Your Voice.

Propane believed cause of Indiana house explosion

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.The Associated Press
Wednesday, September 11, 2013 07:48 am
LOWELL — Investigators are looking at a large propane storage tank as the possible source of a deadly house explosion in rural northwestern Indiana.Lake County Sheriff John Buncich said Tuesday that state and local fire investigators are looking for records on the propane tank at the house near Lowell. The explosion Monday night killed 43-year-old neighbor Victor Strain.

Patty McLane of Avon tells The Times of Munster and the Post-Tribune that Strain helped watch her father's house after he recently moved into a nursing home. McLane says the explosion happened as her brother was on the phone with Strain, who was checking on something suspicious.

Buncich says Strain apparently thought he saw something at the back of the home and the blast happened when he opened the door.

Comments

News-Sentinel.com reserves the right to remove any content appearing on its website. Our policy will be to remove postings that constitute profanity, obscenity, libel, spam, invasion of privacy, impersonation of another, or attacks on racial, ethnic or other groups. For more information, see our user rules page.
comments powered by Disqus