It's baseball season, after all, and summer TV viewing wouldn't be complete without at least one baseball flick. “Bull Durham” airs at 8 p.m. today on WGN.
The 1988 film is about a minor-league catcher (Kevin Costner) and a baseball groupie (Susan Sarandon) coaching a pitcher (Tim Robbins).
How well do you remember other baseball films?
1. Which comedy featured a three-man baseball team who challenged a full team of elementary school kids?
2. In this 1976 version of “The Bad News Bears,” who played the team's coach?
3. Michael Moriarty and Robert De Niro starred as teammates who must make the most of a season when one is diagnosed with a terminal illness in which 1973 film?
4. In this film, Tom Selleck stars as a former all-star who is forced to sign on with a Japanese baseball team.
5. A Little Leaguer became a Chicago Cub in which 1993 film starring Thomas Ian Nicholas?
6. This 1952 film told the story of Dizzy Dean.
7. Albert Brooks finds the perfect pitcher to solve the New York Yankees slump in this 1994 film?
8. A compulsive gambler (Keanu Reeves) agrees to coach a Little League team from a housing project in Chicago to pay back his gambling debt in this 2001 film?
Answers: 1. “The Benchwarmers.” 2. Walter Matthau. 3. “Band the Drum Slowly.” 4. “Mr. Baseball.” 5. “Rookie of the Year.” 6. “The Pride of St. Louis.” 7. “The Scout.” 8. “Hardball.”