News-Sentinel.com Your Town. Your Voice.
Local Business Search
Stock Summary
Dow16982.590
Nasdaq4444.910
S&P 5001978.910.57
AEP54.651.43
Comcast54.730.34
GE25.59-0.2
ITT Exelis17.090
LNC52.900.08
Navistar36.77-0.48
Raytheon93.281.21
SDI21.670.01
Verizon51.580.3

Cat blamed for starting central Indiana house fire

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. The Associated Press
Friday, May 24, 2013 - 7:40 am

CHESTERFIELD - Authorities say a cat might have started a central Indiana house fire by knocking over a lamp.

The fire happened Thursday in the town of Chesterfield just east of Anderson.

Chesterfield deputy fire chief Mark Carman tells The Herald Bulletin that the blaze might have been sparked when one of the homeowner's six cats knocked over the lamp, shattering the bulb. Carman says the homeowner reported seeing a flash and then the flames.

Carman says the fire damage was contained to the home's living room and no one was injured. He says crews rescued two pet dogs, but at least one cat died.