Suspense has been knocked down a notch or 24 for the Indianapolis Colts as they take to the NFL Draft.
Last year's draft was assembling a stockpile of talent, starting with top pick Andrew Luck. This year, they're adding accessories.
That's not to say the Colts can't find an impact player with the No.24 pick in the first round. A list of players taken by teams with the No.24 pick since 2002 includes Ed Reed, Dallas Clark (Colts, 2003), Steven Jackson, Aaron Rodgers and Chris Johnson. Stars can be had at No.24.
But the Colts' picks after that – Nos. 86 (third round), 121 (fourth), 192 (sixth), 230 (seventh) and another Mr. Irrelevant at 254 (seventh) – will be players who can develop into contributors and starters.
As the Colts pointed out this week, 23 players on their current roster came through the draft, including 20 from the last four drafts. The oldest three: Antoine Bethea, sixth round, 2006; Robert Mathis, fifth round, 2003; and Reggie Wayne, first round, 2001.
Here are some other interesting draft-related tidbits, courtesy of the Colts media relations department:
* Two Colts picks were traded last year. Their second-round pick went to Miami in exchange for Vontae Davis. Their fifth-round pick went to San Francisco for the rights to the third-round spot that landed T.Y. Hilton.
* This will mark the fifth Mr. Irrelevant drafted by the Colts dating to their Baltimore years. The others: quarterback Chandler Harnish (2012), offensive tackle Tom Carr (1966), quarterback George Haffner (1965) and fullback Blair Weese (1959).
* Former Colts left tackle Tarik Glenn will announce the Colts' third-round pick this season.
* Since moving to Indianapolis in 1984, the Colts have drafted 132 defensive players, 124 offensive players and six specialists.
* The most-popular position pick by the Colts in Indianapolis is linebacker (35 picks), followed by wide receiver (26).
* Twelve first-round Colts picks since 1984 have appeared in the Pro Bowl: Ron Solt, Duane Bickett, Marshall Faulk, Marvin Harrison, Tarik Glenn, Peyton Manning, Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Dwight Freeney, Dallas Clark, Joseph Addai and Andrew Luck.
* The Colts have taken 10 players from Penn State, nine from Illinois and seven from Georgia and Notre Dame.
* Notre Dame players picked by the Colts: Dean Brown (1990), Anthony Johnson (1990), Rodney Culver (1992), Devon McDonald (1993), John Covington (1994), Bertrand Berry (1997) and Hunter Smith (1999).
* Purdue players picked by the Colts: Chris Scott (1984), Don Anderson (1985), Gilbert Gardner (2004) and Curtis Painter (2009).
* Indiana players picked by the Colts: Ray Fisher (2010).