I heard Mark Braverman speak April 11. He made assertions as follows:
1. Israel has no constitution.
2. There is no conscientious objector status as to mandatory military service in Israel.
3. The state of Israel is not the Israeli people.
4. The pope in 1993 recognized the state of Israel. That act was the last nail in the coffin to bury the Christian guilt about the Holocaust.
5. The United States provides money to Israel even though U.S. law prohibits funds to countries that are in violation of international law.
6. A two-state solution as to Palestinians and Israelis will not occur. There needs to be one country with civil rights for all residents.
7. There can be no successful negotiation since the negotiating parties are not equals.
8. The populations of Palestinians and Israelis are approximately equal.
9. The plight of the Palestinians is similar to apartheid in South Africa and the civil rights movement in the U.S. in the 1960s.
10. Grass-roots efforts, including boycotts of Israel, are necessary, which will take years.
Do these assertions resonate, or is there an elephant in the room?