Upon arrival three minutes later, firefighters found heavy smoke coming from an apartment on the first floor, the release said. The firefighters made entry and extinguished a fire that was centered in the kitchen that apparently started on the stove.
Residents were evacuated from 11 adjoining apartments, with some having to use ladders to descend from a second-floor balcony, according to the release.
The fire was deemed under control at 2:50 a.m., with no injuries reported. The apartment sustained heavy smoke damage and minor fire and water damage, according to the release.