Wood burner blamed for fire in Fremont
An interior wood burner is being blamed for a Fremont house fire Wednesday afternoon.
The Fremont Fire Department responded to a reported fire in the floor of a residence at 1:53 p.m., according to a news release from Fire Chief Eric Hufnagle.
The first arriving units found heavy smoke coming from the second story of the residence. The blaze had spread from the first floor through the walls and into the second floor and attic area. Crews were able to get the fire under control at 2:28 p.m. It caused $20,000 worth of damage, according to the release.
The fire department received assistance from the Clear Lake Police Department, Steuben County EMS, and the electric utility REMC. The Angola Fire Department was put on standby to cover the Fremont station.