Tonight, Judy Garland stars on “A Child Is Waiting,” a 1963 film about a home for mentally disabled children. It airs at 8 p.m. on TCM.
John Cassavetes directed this film, which also starred Burt Lancaster, Gena Rowlands and Steven Hill.
How much do you remember about Judy Garland?
1. Her birth name was Frances Gumm. How did she get the name Judy Garland?
2. Garland made her film debut in what movie?
3. How many times did Garland marry?
4. What was the name of Garland's first film after she signed with Warner Bros.
5. Can you name the two songs Garland performed, which received the Academy Award for Best Original Song?
6. In what city did Garland die?
7. How tall was Garland?
8. What did she do to get Louis B. Mayer, one of the heads of MGM, to notice her talent?
Answers: 1. Louis B. Mayer named her after the popular 1930s song “Judy” and after the film critic Robert Garland. 2. “Pigskin Parade.” 3. Five times (David Rose, Vincente Minnelli, Sidney Luft, Mark Herron and Mickey Deans). 4. “A Star Is Born.” 5. “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” from “The Wizard of Oz” and “On the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe” from “The Harvey Girls.” 6. London. 7. 4-foot, 11 1/2 inches. 8. She sang “You Made Me Love You” at Clark Gable's 1937 birthday party.