• Newsletters
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Saturday, September 23, 2017
View complete forecast
News-Sentinel.com Your Town. Your Voice.

Bruce Williams: Top salesman loses job to boss's buddy

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.The Associated Press
Tuesday, July 11, 2017 12:01 am

DEAR BRUCE: I worked for a large company for 19 years in sales. I was the top producer for the past 10 years. Within a week's time, they removed me from my largest account, asked me to cover an area they have struggled in, removed the salesman from that account and gave him my territory. When I refused, Human Resources offered me a 19-weeks severance package and fired me.The sales director has always created an extremely hostile work environment along with using unethical sales practices. He gave my largest account to his 40-year-old social friend. I just turned 63 in March. My sales in the fiscal year ending March 2017 were up 20 percent. Do I take the severance, which includes an 18-month noncompete clause, or do I hire a lawyer? — R.K.

DEAR R.K.: It's hard not to sympathize with a guy like you because you've been screwed over badly. That having been said, so what? There's nothing they've done that's illegal that I can see. Shady, yes, but they can cover that. The fact is, you've been had.

If I were you, I would take the 19-weeks severance and get on with my life. You may want to attack the account by working for a competitor eventually. If you're that well-established, it's possible that would be the best way you can make them suffer. I do wish you well.

DEAR BRUCE: My problem is, while I have a will all made out, I don't know who to ask to be the executor. My friends are all in my age group, and I have no way of knowing which, if any of them, might outlive me. I am not comfortable officially making any of them responsible for overseeing my affairs after my death.

I have heard that there are companies out there one can hire to provide the service, but I don't know what to look for or indeed anything about them. Any chance you can provide some information? — L.R.

DEAR L.R.: As you pointed out, there are many trust companies that will provide the people to oversee your affairs and make sure it's done properly after your demise. This is what I would shoot for. This way, the company goes on even if one of the principals dies. This is opposed to hiring an individual. If the individual dies, then what? The trustee can also help you set up your will specifically to accomplish whatever you decide you want to happen. Rest easy.

Send questions to bruce@brucewilliams.com. Owing to the volume of mail, personal replies cannot be provided.


News-Sentinel.com reserves the right to remove any content appearing on its website. Our policy will be to remove postings that constitute profanity, obscenity, libel, spam, invasion of privacy, impersonation of another, or attacks on racial, ethnic or other groups. For more information, see our user rules page.
comments powered by Disqus